The City of Hamilton, Ohio
has three officially designated historic districts: 1)
Rossville Historical District, 2) German Village Historical District, and 3) Dayton/Campbell Historical District.
However, there are other historically
significant areas which
perhaps some day might get their own historic district designation or be
"annexed" into existing historical districts.
website is being set up by a
homeowner on Prospect Hill.
Who first developed Prospect Hill?
A local historian wrote that "Prospect Hill" was developed
around 1893 by Peter Thomson, founder of Champion Paper Co. for
housing for factory workers. Historical data confirms that in 1891
Mr. Thomson purchased the Thomas Rhea farm west of the Great Miami River along
North B Street (formerly Seven Mile Pike) extending westward and divided
it into two
subdivisions.... "Grand View" and "Prospect Hill". The Black Street
Bridge was then built in 1893 and Champion Paper began production in 1894.
However, early historical
data in a 1919 book Memoirs of The Miami Valley stated that five years earlier "all
thirty-five lots on
"Prospect Hill" were purchased by Joseph W. Doron from Asa Shuler in
1888". (In 1888 Peter Thomson's "Prospect Hill" was
undeveloped.) Obviously, there is a discrepancy regarding who really
developed "Prospect Hill".
city plat books show the area on the hill bordered by Jackson Street
(formerly Smith Street) on the south, by North D Street on the west, by North C Street
on the east (formerly Terrace Avenue), and by the small park where
North D and C Streets meet on the north was named "Doron's
Addition". The plat books also show at least thirty-five lots in the
addition which confirms the 1919 historical literature that stated "all thirty-five lots
Prospect Hill were purchased by Joseph W. Doron".
In 1889 Joseph
built the family home at 329 N C Street
on three of the thirty-five lots he bought from Asa Shuler in 1888. According to
a second historical reference, the house was the second house built on
"Prospect Hill". Joseph
W. Doron's obituary in 1922; a third historical source; also stated "he erected a beautiful home on
the historical data shows that the land Joseph Doron bought was the original
"Prospect Hill" but when he filed his plat for development in
1888-1889 it was called "Doron's Addition". Three
years later Peter Thomson used the name "Prospect Hill" when he filed
his plat for development of the land he bought years later.
The Doron Home
was Joseph Doron? NEXT PAGE